Sunday, May 27, 2012

week: minus 1

Memorial Day–time to remember heros. Not all heros are soldiers.  Today I want to take time to remember one who cared for four little boys, ages one to six, while her husband spent a year in an unpopular war.  Neighbors, if they didn't simply ignore her, freely shared their opinions of politics of that time. Still she "soldiered on" starting the older ones in school and caring for the mishaps of the younger.  She lost her own war against cancer almost 5 years ago or else we might be making this trip together (if i could pry her away from her grandchildren.)  I envy those who can.
Tahoma National Cemetery, Washington
I finally got around to watching an animation blurb on importance the education of girls in poor areas.  Not to ignore the boys who also need attention to become capable fathers, I think this helped me sense the possible importance of those who serve in the Peace Corp at this time: http://www.girleffect.org/video

Lots of water in Snoqualmie Falls this spring-with Rayleigh, Erin, Isabel & Evan; James, Dan & Chantell in back.
Speaking of girls, I must mention James wife Stephanie–not in the picture, who packed up so efficiently that they were able to comfortably drive three children to their home in Denver, in a 7 year-old Prius! (baa–bye car).  And Chantell, Dan's wife, who has spent two days with me helping me organize clothes and papers that I will not pack with me next week.
Coal Creek Falls, hiking with Evan, Chantell, Isabel, Zoe & Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment