Sunday, July 22, 2012

Back to PST


Spencer has a house-Two Bedrooms,
Two Baths.   Oh my Gosh!

This week was spent with Spencer Campbell a PCV teacher in Wonoo, near Kumasi. Although it was the week for District tests to be administered, the tests came in a day late so Spencer “gave” me the opportunity to teach them a lesson on percentages. No lesson plan or much time for even an outline.  Fortunately, I had prepared for that lesson during Practicum teaching and didn’t get to it because of a school holiday.  So I was able to teach the material and the students seemed to understand it better than they did during my first week of practice teaching.  Also it was nice not having a Trainer in the back of the room checking boxes while I taught.  Spencer is just finishing his first year teaching and it was great to watch him.   In the evening of the first day,  Jessica came down from the upper west region to join us.  And two other nearby volunteers came over and we fixed American style hamburgers, with guacamole and tomatoes in olive oil.  I ate two of them.  The first large amount of beef since I came to Ghana 7 weeks ago.  I got the runs!  The first time since coming here.  It lasted only a day and a half but I was reminded of a saying we had in DaNang: “Happiness is a dry fart!” I will try to stick to Ghanaian food except in small-small amounts.  Jessica and I returned late Friday and my lovely homestay mom, fixed me banku with pepe sauce.  My all time favorite!

Kente Weavers-The Legend.


A Kente Loom in Wonoo

When the world was new the spider, Kwaku Ananse, was wise, cunning and clever.  Whenever you needed an animal to be clever you choose Kwaku Ananse.  One day a hunter in Bonwire saw Kwaku Ananse making his web. He decide to study the pattern which Kwaku Ananse was making in the web.  So when he came home, he describe to his friends how Kwaku Ananse makes his web.  So after the discussion, they decide to try to see how Kwaku Ananse goes about it and do likewise.  That is how kente cloth weavers began.

You have to be clever to be cunning.  (by Peter, a teacher at Wonoo, a weaving town in the Ashante region.)

Peter arranged for me to have two sashes made
in less than a day.  They are fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment